Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Trip to Delhi - Part 1

This is the sequel to Bapa's cataract operation. I reached Delhi on Monday night - was a little pissed off with Putun. But found Putun quite sorry and that kindda brought me back to the kid-brother role that I and Nilu continue to essay. Shveta had visited the fairground earlier that day and was not very happy with the way things were managed by the MP Pavilion staff. The most interesting part of the trip was my alighting out of Shatabdi train at 10PM, carrying a suitcase and a very heavy duffelbag. I managed to drag myself up the overbridge to the Paharganj side of New Delhi station and with a couple of breaks and huffs and puffs reached the far end of the bridge when I was accosted by a couple of Taxi and AutoRickshaw drivers (not to mention the coolies who thought I was doing a grave sin carrying my own goods). While getting down the bridge and shooing away the drivers (not a good idea!) I fell down a couple of steps with the bags on top of me!...Couldn't help mutter a few of the choicest Hindi swear words at the Taxi driver who continued nonchalantly - "Sirji aap gaali de rahe hain?" ("Sirji, you're swearing at me?"). I was furious - about to blow my top - and then gave up and agreed to go with him for 80 bucks! (What a rip off!!).
Delhi looks pretty cool now - especially during cold, not-foggy November nights. Very soon, it would be cut off from the rest of the country and perhaps the world as it would be covered with thick smog through the rest of winter. But the best part is the cutting down of pollution - better traffic rules and hopefully better civic sense.
That bit of an episode at the New Delhi Railway station became a nice ice-breaker when I entered our home. The dogs Chaman and Godot had their coats trimmed and Putun continued playing them while talking (what is new? - Putun, hope you get to read this!) and laughing. Saw some TV (news mostly - Abu Salem, the dancing IG and his distraught wife, what else?)
Bapa came slightly later - he had collected his new specs (wth the right glass changed to a plain one) and I put the 5 eye-drops (still remember the names - Pedrone, Moxicip, Tobrine, Refresh Liquigel and Optilac) before going off to sleep. The two femme fatales of the house kept asking questions about our visit to Bhopal, etc. Don't remember much - guess was feeling groggy...

More later...watch this space!

No comments: