Friday, August 15, 2008

World At War - 2

Saw a few more episodes this week of my favorite series of a long long time - World At War. At times I think that prior to the Internet age, the most intellectually stimulating things had invariably been created in the land of the Queen - be it the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, or the Wisden Almanac, or this series...The episodes that I saw, post my last entry, included Germany's Unternehmen Barbarossa, the absolutely wonderful episode 10 - on the kriegesmarine's U-Boats. What has fascinated me so much has been the footages of some of the top Nazi and British characters and their interviews..be it Grossadmiral and subsequent Reichspraesident, Karl Doenitz, or the Reichsminister for Armaments, Albert Speer, or the last surviving awardee of the Knight's Cross with Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds, Adolf Galland..I could continue writing pages after pages about the series, and about the absolutely impeccable quality of the documentary...

No comments: